Monday, January 30, 2006

Gong xi gong xi gong xi ni

Happy Chinese New Year everyone! Prosperity, peace, and puppies for all!

It's been a quiet one here, and what with being stuck in Sydney and turning 26 today, I got birthday presents instead of ang pows, except Bear's mum gave me an ang pow as well, because she thought I might like it, and i almost cried man... wah lau, all the homesickness and thesis-stressing and birthday bluesing and chinese-new-year-ing got to me i think. I did have a nice weekend though, especially dinner on Saturday, at this neat little restaurant in Newtown called Oscillate Wildly, with Adrian and Bear. I even got pictures! (hooray for cameraphones!) Sorry about the quality. :P

I'd heartily recommend this place, I'd go back again with any excuse! The menu changes every fortnight or so, and you can order what you like, or have an entree, main and dessert for $45. Considering the quality of the food, the presentation, the way you can see how carefully they prepared it all, maaaaaan it was SO WORTH IT!

For an entree, I had scallops dressed with truffle butter and dill, and these were the best scallops i've been served in Australia... plump and succulent, nearly translucent inside, they were perfect! and so sweet. *rave*



Adrian had the prawn ceviche with some cucumber salady thing, which he said was nice, but maybe a bit too mild. Maybe because its only cooked in lemon and lime juice, the prawniness wasn't brought out enough or something? *shrug*



Bear had something that was called "shredded pork with something mustardy something and polenta". It was yummy! very tasty. Bear liked it very much. Also, the polenta was really nice, quite unlike our miserable failure when we tried making it at home before (gluggy).



Apologies for the blurry and grainy photos. T'was but a phone camera after all, and we did have drinks.

For a main, I had kingfish with lemon aioli and sweet potato chips. This was, again, really really good! Fish can be difficult to do well, but this was cooked just right, flesh falling off the fork, and just cooked through inside with crispy skin outside. The aioli and sweet potato were nice too, and everything made friends with everything else, and there was nothing extraneous or unnecessary. *nod sagely*



Adrian had the venison with charred broccoli and something, and man, it was really tasty. Like a really good cut of beef but with more complex flavours. Mmmm...



Bear had the poached chicken with prosciutto and something and a skordalia puree, which apparently is some sort of mashed potato mixed in with yummy stuff. Bear enjoyed this a lot and so did i. :P



Next, dessert dessert dessert!

My beautiful baked peach with butterscotch schnapps and pistachio crumble (started eating it before Adrian reminded me to take a picture):



Adrian and Adrian's very nummylicious cheese plate:



Bear's perfect chocolate and Almond torte:



Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum.

Next time anyone comes visit (Qiao!) I'll take you there. Saturdays need to be booked about 2 weeks in advance though, it's such a tiny little space and so justifiably popular!

Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum.

I'm 26 now. mwah.

Before I go and have my mushroom soup lunch, here are some random links to some things Bear put together:

Bear's new toy (or Why Suyin is broke)

The rattieboys' birthday card to me! (Awww...)

1 comment:

Corinoco said...

The praawns themselves were fine; the salad overpowered them a bit. I didn't really taste the prawns until the last one, which I ate by itself. Maybe the leaf things should have been under instead of on top of the prawns?