Thursday, January 13, 2005

On visiting mushroomland

I'm so envious of Sammie getting to go back for Chinese new year. I had 5 little days and nothing to show for it now but a stack of empty bengawan solo boxes. Sigh! Speaking of which, it appears that the key to passing through australian customs as smoothly as a banana through the bowels, is to bring with you a well-dressed respectable looking australian. Prior to travelling with Bear, i have Never been able to get past the gates without a thorough bag search, x-ray, and series of uncomfortably probing questions. Bear clearly looks too respectable and sensible to be foolish enough to try bringing in exotic animals, vials of bacteria, or, horror of horrors, fruit!

I still regret that large box of fully luscious mangos that got confiscated at JFK airport when I was visiting Sam. Why the hell is new york worried about fruit? Someone please enlighten me.

Anyway, I told myself that I needed to thank the people who made my little trip home such fun, so, a little belatedly, here i give thanks. Firstly to Adrian, for graciously agreeing to inhabit our home, feed and entertain our ratties, and defend it against the ant-hordes for the week. Also, for being nice about when we told him to pick us up two hours before the actual arrival time. We tried to correct this by sms-ing him from the satellite phone on the plane, but apparently it arrived after several hours and too late - just so you know in case u ever want to sms anyone using the aircraft phone thing, calling is probably more immediate. :P

Then i have to thank Kelly and her friend Anna, for having dinner with us, recommending that excellent movie, 'Nobody knows', and for initiating the duck tour excursion, which was so touristy and corny but interesting enough. At least the tour guide seemed to have a genuine unscripted sense of humour, and Bear got to take a few photos of the merlion. What else can you ask for really?

It was also fun meeting up with Qiao and Raymond (and friends) for katong laksa, even if it had dropped standards and was bland and we really should have gone to the other stall, which amused Bear no end, apparently this is the same conversation that takes place everytime Bear eats with Singaporeans.

Like when we had dinner with Gracie and her *gasp* husband, who turned out to be very nice and friendly and was really cool and drove us home after we stuffed ourselves insensible with sambal stingray, satay, chicken wings, etc etc.. at Laguna Park (to which my mum says "dropped standard! especially after the renovation.") It was good of Gracie to fill me in on all kinds of gossip, mainly pertaining to the inexplicable tendency for the girls in her year to get hitched, especially to foreign men on foreign soil. Don't know what is wrong with them lot.

Anyway, lastly, but so importantly, it was soooooo good to meet up with all my old classmates! Su-Lin was gratifyingly pleased with, and Cindy unexpectedly fervent about the krispy kreme doughnuts we delivered (next time, Cin, we'll bring several more boxes), Sulin showed off her new boy, and Louise, Andrea, Yen, Dawn, Joey, and Ruth were incredibly sweet to make up some time out of their crazy mad schedules to meet up and have food. It was very much a real relief to be able to talk to people who know what you're talking about, without always having to couch your words in a way others will understand, or constantly having to explain yourself when people just don't get it.

Bear said he'd learnt from this trip that I could actually be a sociable person, that is, chatty and animated in a group of people. I suppose it takes a certain special group of people to bring that about.

Depend on it, i will be back.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Hah! Adan came back with me to Singapore for the first time (first time!) last Christmas, and on the way back, I experienced the smoothest US customs checkpoint EVER. I think the customs people are just more inclined to trust people with a passport to the place they're in. Australian customs figure Australians are OK, and US customs figure US citizens are OK.

Also, hee hee! Adan and Evonne (who was also with us in Singapore last Christmas) were both absolutely amazed at what a social creature I was in Singapore. Which is true, really. I mean, large gathering here, I tend to putter around in the kitchen making food for everyone or just listen in on conversations, saying something only very occasionally, but in Singapore, it's like all talk, all the time.

Even on the bus trip home from Orchard, I'm always sending and receiving SMS's. It's weird, no? But that difference in behavior is one of the big things that lets me know I want to be living in Singapore instead of New York for the rest of my life.

The reason for the fruit/plant/meat paranoia is apparently bacteria or viruses or bug larvae or something. i've had someone explain to me before, but I forget.