Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Late night blah blahs

Its late, and I should be going to bed but i don't . quite .. want . to.

I miss my late nights. Being awake and having the night all to myself. Maybe I have a moonlight deficiency. hahaha. It's no fun leh, being hardworking and all that rubbish. And it's not even as if i do allll that much work. Its just the sortof annoying constant tugging on your mind when juggling one full-time study commitment and two part-time jobs... the day never quite ends. Even if i've spent the morning fiddling with my research design and then the afternoon managing kiddies, i spend the night thinking i should be doing readings for the next tutorial or something. Thinking only lah, i'm not that hardworking. Or i find myself staying up late at night to wrestle with MS Excel and Word and their little formatting disputes because i couldn't be arsed to do this over the weekend (MY weekend! Mine!) nor any other day because sometimes, its not so much the actual hours worked, its the preparation, the commitment, the planning, coping, and recovering from those hours that takes up all the time in my day. Like Qiao said about sleeping, she considered it part of her job because if she didn't sleep, she couldn't work, and because she had to sleep, she couldn't go out and enjoy herself. She's a flight attendant though, so going out and enjoying oneself is more interesting for her, but the point is similar. :P

One reason Bear and i get on so easily might be that we're not really do-ers.. We start interesting projects and then complete them only as far as we have to, or leave them to collect dust somewhere.. We also tend to wander, rather than zooming from point to point, and occasionally we get nowhere, which is frustrating but it is more frustrating not having the time and space to mosey about a bit. We're not very hectic people.

I don't mind not getting many things done if it means i have time to do nothing.

And time to stay up late and mooch about online.

Unfortunately, i take my sleep very seriously too.

I'd better go to bed.

Bleeeeaaaah.

Goodnight goodnight, all you spiders and flies, and those bugs in the microwave who somehow survive.

5 comments:

onekell said...

By no mere coincidence, both of you sound like the ratties.

syn said...

Heheh! So true!

Bear said...

I think it was the ratties who picked up their habits from us...

syn said...

So not true!

onekell said...

That reminds me of the Skinner box cartoon:

Two rats in a "Skinner box", a cage with a lever connected to a food dispenser. While a researcher looms overhead, clipboard in hand, one rat comments to the other, "Boy, have I got this guy trained: every time I press the lever, he gives me a piece of cheese!"

from http://www.ryerson.ca/~glassman/behavior.html